Sophie B’s History
Sophie B is a classic Swan 411, designed by the New York firm of Sparkman & Stephens and built by Nautor (Finland) in 1979. She is the 25th of 42 hulls built of this model.
Her brief biography is
- Launched in 1979, and used for the honeymoon of the Nautor CEO. (This may be apocryphal)
- Sold to Bruce Owen in 1979, and sailed in the (in)famous 1979 Fastnet race. Although she did not finish, she survived the race. We are in touch with one of the crew in that race, and hope to bring you his account of sailing her soon.
- Sold again in 1981 to a family based in Cape Town
- Sold again in 1991 to a South African buyer
- Bought in 2014 by her current owners
Sophie B is moored at the V&A Marina, Cape Town, South Africa